18 Jul Creamy Samp
SERVES: 6-8, PREP TIME: 5MIN, COOKING TIME: 10-15MIN (USING COOKED SAMP)
( Cook your Samp in a slow cooker overnight(about 6-8 hrs) or for 2-4 hours on a stove top until it’s soft ) .
You Will Need:
- 4 Cups Dry Samp
- 100mg Salted Butter
- 500ml Fresh Cream
- 8 Cloves Garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- About 15ml Aromat
- 5ml/ 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
- 5ml/ 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Rinse dry Samp and discard the water. In a slow cooker, put Samp and enough water and leave it to cook overnight or until soft and the water has completely evaporated, bout 6-8hours. ( This is my preferred method as I don’t have to ‘watch’ over my Samp whilst it is cooking😊)
- Or you can cook the dry damp on the stove top for about 2-4hrs or following the packets instructions. Tip: Rinse and soak the Samp in previously boiled water overnight, then finish cooking in the morning, this will cut down on your cooking time.
Now that the Samp is cooked and ready:
- In a pot, sauté onions, robot peppers in butter and cook this until soft ( don’t over cook!)
- Add garlic, parsley, aromat, garlic powder & pepper, and stir. Let this simmer for about a minute or so.
- Add fresh cream and stir, continue cooking on low heat for about 3- 5minutes.
Taste for salt and pepper, and add more aromat/ pepper if needed.
- Now add cooked Samp and gently mix together until it’s all coated. Let it simmer for 2minutes.
- Serve with Beef Stew, Chicken Stew or Mogodu.