09 Jun Cottage Pie
Prep Time: 15min, Cooking Time: 1Hr, Serves: 6-
You Will Need:
- 1kg Beef Mince
- 2 Large Carrots
- 2 Sticks Celery, finely chopped
- 1 Large Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Green Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas (250ml)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 250ml Beef Stock ( Dissolve 1 Knorrox Cube in 250ml boiling water)
- 400g/ 1 Can Chopped tomatoes with its juice
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Thyme (including stems)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Spice for Mince
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive oil for sautéing
- About 8 Large Potatoes
- 200ml Fresh Milk
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- 1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- In a heavy pot sauté onions and green pepper until soft, add celery and carrots and cook for for about 2-3minutes. Add spice for mince and stir.
- Add mince and cook for another 5minutes, season with salt & pepper
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, parsley, thyme and beef stock and let this simmer on low heat for 30min.
- Add peas and cook for another 30min. Taste the sauce and add more salt & pepper if needed.
- Boil the potatoes in water until soft, drain excess water if needed.
- Add milk, parsley , butter, half the cheese, salt & pepper – mash it all together.
- Using an oven proof casserole dish, lightly coat it with butter and spoon the beef sauce into the casserole dish then top it with mash.
- Add the remaining cheese on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 20-30min, until the mixture begins to bubble and the top is brownish.