14 Apr Chicken Biryani
Serves: 6, Prep: Time 1hr, Cooking Time: 1hour
You Will Need:
- 1kg Chicken, cut into pieces (you can use mutton or beef)
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1 Cup Lentils
- 1 Sprig Thyme, Chopped
- 4 large Potatoes cut into halves or quarters
- 1 Cup Canola Oil for frying
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 250ml Plain Yoghurt
- 1 Cup Biryani Masala ( you can use mix masala)
- Biryani Mix Seeds ( 2Tbs Cumin seeds, 2Tbs Whole Cloves, 6 Cardamom pods, 2 Bay Leaves, Star Anise, 1 small Cinnamon Stick, 1 Tbs Coriander seeds.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Coriander for Garnishing
- In a large bowl, put washed chicken, biryani masala, thyme, and yoghurt then mix all together and leave to marinade for an hour ( or overnight)
- Cook rice in water, do not over cook. Set it aside.
- Boil lentils in water, do not over cook and set aside
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil, fry onions until translucent – take them out and leave on a kitchen paper towel to drain. In the same oil fry potatoes until golden brown then remove from oil and set aside.
- Heat the same pot with oil and add Biryani Mix Seeds until the aroma of the spices arises, remove the pot from heat and add marinated chicken and garlic. Stir and cook for 20-30min then add potatoes, lentils and fried onions, season with salt and pepper. Let this cook for another 10- 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add rice on the top and close the lid, let this steam on low heat until all the moisture of the meat evaporates. Stir in the rice and serve.
- Serve with Grated Carrot salad and Tzatziki Sauce.
Tip: You can find these spices at most Indian Spice shops